Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mormon Women Writers on the Web? Suh-weet!!

I really did not want to stay on campus all day until Principles of Journalism. All I could think as I started up my computer in Honors Writing was:
"So...drained..."
"Can't...learn...ga..."
So I got on my e-mail and learned that class was cancelled; we were to attend the symposium about Mormons and Media. I wanted to go anyway, but had thought I would have neither the time nor the energy. However, as I looked the schedule I realized that I could attend a session, go home, and nap!!
And the session I was most interested in, a panel dealing with the identity of Mormon Women portrayed on the internet, fit perfectly with that plan.
It was a panel that included the editor of Segullah--which I have actually thought of submitting to--and the editor/creator of feministmormonhousewives.org, which I now KNOW I want to submit to/write for someday.
They talked about how there was this enormous gap in the writings of church women, how pretty much all you could get was regurgitation of relief society lessons; they wanted something where they could write openly and not have to conform to the cookie-cutter image of perfection so many women feel they have to project. That pressure needed to be taken away, there needed to be an opportunity for women to talk about what was bopthering them in a way that would be most beneficial to themselves and other women. That was why fmh was created.
Segullah was created to fill a similar need. I actually was able to get a free copy of the new edition and it is filled with personal works about the issues LDS women face, from the hearts and voices of real women. It wasn't just a painted-over version of doctrine; as nice as the doctrine is, sometimes we need to hear what other women think and feel.
This was so heartening for me. It was nice to see that not everyone is the cookie cutter, and it was nice to see just one more venue I could write for.

No comments:

Post a Comment