Sunday, October 30, 2011

Asian Mac

So for the first variation on classic Mac-N-Cheese: Asian Mac.

I did this mostly because I finally bought a bottle of Sriracha Rooster Hot Sauce and wanted a chance to use it. I had put it on the Mac-N-Cheese at Noodles & Company and liked it, so I came up with Asian Mac.

During the beginning of school, I started having serious Chinese food cravings. Now, of course there is a Panda Express on the corner of Bulldog and University, but I am trying to save money this semester, so that is only an option when my roomies and I feel TRULY lazy. I came up with a pretty good imitation of Utah Noodle Parlor's Pork Noodle Soup, which was my favorite thing EVER until they stopped making their own noodles. {Uncle Leo, they did it RIGHT when you were alive, sir!!}

Then I thought "What if I did an Asian Mac-N-Cheese?"

Asian Mac:

You will need the following ingredients:

{Minus the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, I really don't know why that was out, plus milk, margarine, and fresh cilantro}

Prepare Mac-N-Cheese as per package directions


{Frothy Bubbles!!}


{Whilst cooking}


{Drain it, and may I say I LOVE my IKEA colander?}


{In the end, it should look like this}

So, once you get to this point, add 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and enough Sriracha Hot Sauce (The one with the green lid and the rooster on the bottle) to look like this:




{That should about do it}

And, no, it cant't be Tabasco and I'll tell you why. Tabasco has no flavor for me, just pain. 

The first time I tried Tabasco, I was at Village Inn for a Drama Club presidency meeting. I gave my hash browns to Jeremy Illum, watched him douse them in Tabasco, and then was stupid enough to say "Oh, I've never had that stuff before. He proceeded to take a forkful and then, with the support of everyone in the presidency, forced me to try Tabasco. It was like searing hot fire with absolutely no pleasure of hot FLAVOR.

Sriracha actually has flavor attached to the spice. So I use that.

But anyway, you mix it up together, put it into a bowl, top with fresh cilantro and sprinkle with more Sriracha  sauce.


{All done!}

Mind you, you will want to have copious amounts of milk nearby. Even though Sriracha is not painful like Tabasco, this stuff is HOT!! It is tasty, but spicy. The cilantro adds to the spice, but in a fresh, green way.

Next time: Gouda Salsa Mac!!


No comments:

Post a Comment