Thursday, August 2, 2012

Puny Radishes!

"Hulk--Smash" Stir Fry

Bruce Banner would approve

Hello All!

Who knew working at a small-town weekly newspaper would take up so much of my time?

Okay, that's not all I've been doing this summer. I've made so many new friends down here.

And I saw a couple movies. Like this one:


I love this movie more than I could conceivably had expected.

If I had actually been paid to do this internship, I would have seen it at least six more times. When it gets to the dollar theater in Provo, I will probably do just that.

But what does this have to do with eating, I hear you asking across time and cyberspace? Well, I'm getting to that.

Remember those amazing friends I mentioned? Well, one of them is named Sariah and she's the Vice President of Snow College's student botany club. So she waters the older greenhouse.

A few weeks ago, she was going out of state to attend a funeral, and she needed someone to water the greenhouse while she was away. I volunteered because it sounded kind of fun, and was pleased to find out that I could harvest any produce that was ready and take it home for my personal use. 

And that was how I ended up with nine radishes that I had no idea what to do with. I love radishes, but I figured that I needed to do something other than cover them in salt, which is what I did when I was nine. 


{This is about what the radishes looked like when I pulled them out of the wet earth in the greenhouse}

I looked up radishes online and found out that they are actually really nutritious and under-appreciated in that way. Radishes are rich in ascorbic acid, folic acid, and potassium. They are a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, magnesium, copper, and calcium. So they're pretty power-packed, not to mention they're the type of veggie to fill you up on fiber and water. Needless to say, I was both excited to start cooking them and promising myself that I would never look down on the red roots again.

So I started chopping the radishes up with some broccoli and cilantro I had on hand and I started to realize that the color scheme of my meal reminded me of someone:


I have never seen the Hulk movies, but I absolutely LOVE Mark Ruffalo's Bruce Banner, and his portrayal makes me want to watch the other Hulk movies even though I know he's not in them. 

So this stir-fry is named in his honor.

So you chop up as many radishes as you can, and lots of broccoli and cilantro. If I'd had some I would have put in some chopped up green bell peppers as well (next time). 

But you put that into a pan with a tiny amount of olive oil. Once you'e tossed them a bit, add soy sauce, salt, garlic powder, pepper, chopped dried onion, a pinch of chili powder, about a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, and a few swirls of your favorite hot sauce (If you know me, you can probably guess I used Sriracha). 


{It should end up looking like this}

Then just toss it around until everything is cooked and well-blended. 

The nice thing about this stir-fry, apart from the fact that it has radishes and is related to The Avengers, is that it can be completely and totally vegetarian, or not, depending on who you're making it for. I chose not to, because on the rainy day I made this, eating it over chicken rice-a-roni sounded great.


{So that's what I did}

But, if you wanted, you could use plain rice or noodles, or I suppose just eat the vegetables if you're into that sort of thing. Either way, you shouldn't be hungry.

I'm honestly think I might try to do a meal or dessert based on each of the Avengers...possible inspiration!!

Black Widow's Black Forest cake?

All-American Berry Cobbler?

Iron Man/Stark Steak Sandwich?

Hiddled Hidden Mischief stuffed chicken breast?

Shakespeare in the Park punch?

Mjolnir Muffins?

Barton's Breakfast Burritos?

Stay tuned, there is no way my fascination with this movie is waning!

2 comments:

  1. That's my secret, Captain...I'm ALWAYS in the mood for radishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just barely found this...you're fantastic!

    ReplyDelete