Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Some of the Most Dedicated Journalists I have Ever Met

Recently, I attended a lecture in the atrium of the Brimhall Building. I was told that a panel of international journalists from Iraq would be speaking to us; I figured it would be American or BBC journalists who were covering the conflict.

I was also told there was extra credit involved.

I got there, ready for it to get done so I could write and start my weekend back home.

The panel walked in and I realized that I had been wrong. These were Iraqi journalists; a professor at the University of Baghdad, three former students now working in the field, and the host of a political news program. There were also two translators.

Everyone on that panel has had their life threatened. No, not just by the explosions all Iraqis have to worry about; these brave people have received death threats. They refuse to give up their work.

The Professor (I attempted to catch everyone's names, but I am afraid to put them on here and butcher them) said that, to be a journalist, you must have the talent and readiness to be one, then go to school to hone your skills. Journalists should be bold and courageous to get "reports"; in Iraq they have to be.

He also informed us that Iraq has 25 different newspapers (daily, weekly, and monthly combined), which blew my mind. I mean, yes it is a country, but a small one without much stability. You wouldn't expect that in a place so torn by war, or at least I didn't.

They went through each panelist, each saying something to us. The only woman on the panel was the first to wish us luck in our careers.

One journalist, while covering in Fallujah, was faced with double danger; the Americans thought he was working for Al-Qaeda, and Al-Qaeda thought he was working for the Americans.

We have to maintain objectivity and professionalism, try to keep our emotions out of our stories as much as possible. This is especially important when covering the dangerous situations they do; your professionalism and objectivity will build and maintain your reputation and integrity. However, this does not mean that you won't cry, or be scared, or have to go to the hospital. You will. Your strength comes, one student said, when you face those challenges.

We were reminded to use simple words and avoid aggravating anyone unnecessarily.

Working in the field will be different than school; your editor may do something different than you are used to, and you also realize just how responsible you are to the people. Your outlet may--as many do there--have an agenda they try to push, don't get caught up in it! Learn to separate that agenda from the truth.

They described Journalism as a humanitarian mission, without borders. If you are working as a journalist in an international situation, as they have, it is important to not take sides; just reflect what is going on around you.

They also put a few myths to rest:


  • Did you know that there were actually Christians in Iraq before there were Muslims? I certainly didn't.
  • Female journalists face the same risks as male journalists do on the job; however, they may also face socio-religious issues depending on where they work.
  • The Muslim religion as a whole has been, sadly, quite inaccurately portrayed. According to the Koran, a good Muslim is one who keeps others safe--even a non-Muslim who does this can be a good Muslim! I found this very interesting, and also very cool. The people who call themselves Muslims but act without humanitarian principles (read: the terrorists) are Muslims in name only.
  • There are provisions for Freedom of Press/Speech/Expression in Iraq's constitution, but the parliament is still working on passing laws to enforce them. 
The last question they were asked was whether or not they have media with a bias in Iraq, like our MSNBC and FOX News here in America. Now, up to this point it had been pretty diplomatic and calm. When the translator asked them this question, however, everyone started talking at once. I don't know if you've ever heard people having a discussion about the political biases or lack thereof in various media outlets, but I can say this: It is at least ten times more awesome when it is done in a middle eastern tongue. 

I feel a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for these people. I may never receive a death threat from a faction or terrorist group, but I like to think that I could be as brave as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment