Saturday, June 25, 2011

News and Gratitude

Hello all! So, that last post was a long time coming; I just had to finish it before I posted more current stuff. I'm weird about incomplete thoughts that way--I can't stand to leave a thought incomplete for anything.

I've been back home from college for about a week. Of course, you may wonder why I haven't blogged more since then. Well, I've been a little busy settling back in and helping my Dad.

See, we keep a place in Vegas at an undisclosed location. We've had it since just after I was born, with very few problems aside from heat, bugs, and the occasional breakdown of the air conditioner.

And then, three weeks ago, a pipe started leaking and nobody was there to fix it. Nobody knew until my Dad's neighbor saw some water leaking from under the garage door and called Dad to tell him (thank you, Sheldon). There was a lot of water damage, and my Dad had to go down to get the place in better repair as well as getting an estimate from the contractors. Thing is, he hasn't been feeling so good lately. So he asked me to come down and help with some of the organizing, cleaning, and heavy lifting. He also offered to pay me for my time. So, I figured, why not?

That trip made me realize how good I really have it. For various reasons, including unemployment, I was feeling pretty sorry for myself. I was longing for my life at college, and some aspects of life in high school. However, after the trip, I realized that, even though things aren't going quite the way I wanted, I have quite a lot to be grateful for right now:


  • A Bed: My room was one of the worst hit by the water damage, so I was sleeping on the couch in Vegas. I won't be complaining about mattress quality for a long time.
  • A working tub and shower: The bathroom with the leak? Only tub in the house, and now its holds the toilet. And the remaining shower? Hot is cold, cold is hot, and I didn't know. I'm grateful to be back in a house with a nice, hot, put-together tub. 
  • The right to walk around my house barefoot: The entire top floor except for one room had been ripped of its carpet and pad, leaving only the plywood floor beneath it. It was only safe for me to go up there to work if I wore shoes. I'm kind of a barefoot girl in Summer, so that was unpleasant. So, I'm glad I can now go barefoot all over my house.
  • My stuff where it should be: I could not find my toothbrush for freaking EVER. Everything was jumbled together, and my Mom asked me to find her few nice things. Guess where they were? At the bottom of a black trash bag. I am, therefore, grateful that my stuff here is where one would expect it to be. It's nice to know that my toothbrush is in my bathroom, and that all our clothes are in actual closets.
  • Air Conditioning and Normal Temperatures: It was 109 degrees in Vegas, and we couldn't turn on the AC until my Dad had plugged up all the holes in the house. Even once you turn on the AC in Vegas, especially in Vegas, it takes awhile to cool a house down. I am grateful that I am not dying of heat, an that my house is cool.
  • My Dad: He paid me to go and do what any good daughter would have volunteered to do. Granted, I had plans, but he was so good to me while I was there. I got to go to my favorite restaurant, got to see the Las Vegas Mob Experience--SO amazing, I cannot recommend it enough--and got paid to lift a few things and do some cleaning.
So, while my life is by no means perfect, it isn't as bad as it can seem in my more despairing moments, I do have a lot to be grateful for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment