Saturday, August 31, 2013

Much-Belated Friday Fascinations...but on Saturday....

This could take awhile...

So some of you know why this has taken awhile, I haven't been the happiest campier in the world lately. There was a major debacle with the apartment and a bunch of our stuff got stolen. It's okay now; it's all taken care of and hopefully we can move in soon--for real this time.

But it hasn't been all doom-and-gloom; personally I think nothing is ever. Well almost nothing. But then I'm just a cock-eyed optimist.

I used to think being a cock-eyed optimist was awful, mostly because someone I used to be close to found it the most obnoxious thing--ever.  But this whole awful thing taught me that maybe I'm not useless because of my optimism. I've got good people around me who've been good for me that way.

Here are the other things that brighten my day:

Darren Criss' cover of Ducktales


Maybe you know him from Glee, maybe you know him from A Very Potter Musical. Either way, you should know about this dude and his talentedness. And this is the theme song from one of my favorite childhood TV shows. 

Stargate

Yes, as in the movie and the nerdy Canadian TV show based on it. I love it and I always will. Jess got me into this show; one day I came home from work just as everyone was putting the DVD in--and I thought "eh, I'm tired, may as well lounge here in front of the TV."



Yes. Yes I am addicted. Yes that is MacGyver, yes that is Naomi from this past season of Supernatural. Yes, the historian/linguist is an adorable nerdy puppy dog. And yes, if you're guessing that the other guy is like a threatening black alien version of Castiel, you are so right.

It's like Doctor Who in that you can't really explain it without sounding mad. Just watch the movie and give the series a try.

Josh Groban sings Kanye West's Tweets


Seriously just watch it. It makes any day better, just allow yourself to laugh--because classical music is tight, yo. 

Save Rock & Roll--Fall Out Boy



I honestly love the whole album. I know that a lot of people don't really respect Fall Out Boy; you probably just remember the "scene" or "mainstream" band from junior high and high school (I'm dating myself there but oh well). Listen to this album the whole way through, you will almost certainly change your mind. There's a lovely war-to-peace transition about the album--even look at the cover; a young man who looks like he could get violent easily holding hands with a trainee monk. Just...just go listen to it. 


The Georgian Language


A friend taught me this at work for part of a training. It loos like Elvish on paper and is really fun to speak. I wouldn't mind learning it--it's REALLY interesting!

J. Crew Bermuda shorts

I've been wearing these all summer and they are gloriously comfortable! I have them in two colors and they go with a lot!

Sugarhouse by Matt Batt


I got it at the local library book sale. It's a distraction from reading The Hobbit but it's nice to know, when your stuff has disappeared, that at least you are not trying to fix up and inhabit the neighborhood Crack House. And hey, he's a fairly well-known writer. So, I told myself, we were eventually going to be okay. It's a heartwarming read, exceptionally well-written. I give it a higher recommendation than I've given any memoir ever.

Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot

I've always loved this series. Heck, I love anything Agatha Christie, and nobody does Poirot like David Suchet. But I hadn't watched the show in awhile. 

Then this whole thing happened:


(Yeah, I'm pretty happy about this too)

Yeah. I was REALLY excited about it. So naturally I went to IMDB to see what else he'd been in besides "The Fires of Pompeii" in season four and the first part of Torchwood: Miracle Day. And while everyone else was freaking out over his crediting as "W.H.O. Doctor" in World War Z (I'm sorry, I do not care about zombie movies) I was all "Wait, what, he was in an episode of Agatha Christie???"

And now I watch at least an episode a night. 


Hopefully I'll be moved in soon and things will get back to normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment