Sunday, May 20, 2012

Why this Weekend just might be the end of the world as I know it

Hello World!

No, I have not died and regenerated into a pessimist, if the title has made you question that. And there is a legit reason I haven't posted at all, and I'll explain that later.

My life is just...interesting...right now.

Here's why I think this weekend might just be the end of my world:

(A) I started reading The Hunger Games.

Yes, I started reading them even after I vowed I was not going to get swept up in "that hype."

But then my cousin who's not a reader liked them.
{Maddie and I are just about as close as you can be, even though I look stoned here}

And then Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth had to be so freakin' gorgeous. In about ten thousand photoshoots my friends graciously posted on Pinterest.

I really wish I could get these on the same line. 


{Oh well, they're still hot}

And then I thought it was awesome that josh went and adopted that puppy and was adorable with it.

Not even fair.

And then I saw this video and got interested.


And THEN, Mal graciously let me borrow her super-special-awesome paperback boxed set.


Yeah, when I say I've "started" them, I mean I work 8-hour days and I'm already on the first couple pages of Mockingjay now.

I mean Paige, my lovely roomie now that I live in Ephraim to intern at the Sanpete Messenger (more about my new roomie and new job in following posts), came home from school and startled me an intense part of the first book.

I mean I now check Mean Girls of Panem EVERY FREAKING DAY when I come home from work because I laugh so hard at the combination of Mean Girls and the Hunger Games. After Catching Fire, it ALL makes such perfect, hilarious sense.

To all my friends who love this series:

There. I'm hooked. Are you happy now?

(B) I took my first sick/working at home day and realized that I am probably the most un-productive cold sufferer EVER.


I just sit on the couch and drink lemonade.


It's like when I get sick, the fatigue just turns off my brain's let's-get-spit-done centers and fills it with apathy zombies.

Which is why I am taking it easy so I can get better and be awesome on Monday, getting back to the normally proactive, get-spit-done person I normally am at work.

(C) Grooveshark was down for a few hours and I thought it would be for much longer. I hate to be a drama queen, and I was going to go on this huge moan-fest about the site being down (HOW AM I GOING TO LIVE ALL WEEKEND?) BUT I just checked and it's back online!! Thank you tech wizards who keep websites alive for reviving my music I.V. so I can get on to my NEXT item without losing all sanity.

(D) Technically I was supposed to write more for the paper than I have while I've been sick but NOBODY is giving me anything to work with. Yay. Plus the whole unproductive-because-of-sickness thing. I'll try to get one more thing done before I move on to the NEXT item on my list.

(E) I thought I had passed the mark of "If you say you don't want to be called as such-and-such then that's EXACTLY what you'll be called to!" For two years I have been saying "please please PLEASE don't call me to teach Gospel Doctrine!" And in three different BYU wards and a Roy singles' ward, it didn't happen. So I REALLY thought I was safe now.

Not really.

My friend Ben, well, I call him Spartacus but he's Ben, knocked on my door the other day.

He needed someone to cover for him. So GUESS WHO's teaching Mosiah 18-24 tomorrow?


Yeah. That would be me. Ugh. I hate teaching. I hate and I've never done it, because I already know I'll be rubbish at it.

But now my lesson is planned and, oh look, besides sneaking in a Monty Python reference ("that's the violence inherent in the system...you see him repressing me?") I realized that King Noah's society is like Panem under the Capitol. But that's another story for another Sunday.

Because there's a story this Sunday that demands my full attention, which leads me to:

(F) Reichenbach. 


That's right. This little Sherlockian has been biting her nails (metaphorically, I never got what was comforting about it in real life) all weekend because the season finale of Sherlock is on this Sunday. Masterpiece Mystery is awesome, and I'm proud of myself for NOT watching it on an illegal website before it came to PBS in America.

{I know, right? I'm proud of me too! And I'm just as surprised as you are, Benedict, you cheeky man!}

(That's not me saying that we should still get it later than Britain...because I think we should get it on BBC America at the same time as British fans like we get Doctor Who the same time as they do--it's even written by the same man, Stephen Moffatt, so there's not even bound to be an issue there. We even care as much as the British fans WHAT A NOVEL CONCEPT!!!!!!!!!)

{That's what we DO!!!!!!!!!!}

(Ok. I'm done with all-caps sarcasm for today. I'm sorry. It's just the pre-Reichenbach stress, I swear.)


I am FREAKING OUT!!!!! OK????!?!?!!??



The worst part of it all is, I know, I just KNOW, that I'll be going over the episode every night after it. WHY?? Because Stephen Moffat, the king of Trolls, has looked at the Reichenbach theories on the internet and says there's some vital clue everyone's missed. 


So when I'm not at work, I'll be closeted in my room with food receiving no visitors and going nowhere except FHE. 



So this will be me. In my mind palace, obsessing and fangirling over something that probably shouldn't occupy my Sunday, but I've been SUCH a good girl for waiting it to air legally, AND I'm teaching Gospel Doctrine even though I don't desperately want to. 

And then I'll go back to my idea of posting spiritual things on Sunday. At least until Downton Abbey returns, and then Sunday posts are fair game.

No comments:

Post a Comment