Sunday, May 6, 2012

"Only Dull People are Brilliant at Breakfast"

One of my favorite Oscar Wilde Quotes ever:

---Oscar Wilde

It gives me hope about not being a morning person. I never have been, and this morning was no different. It might not have been so bad, but I had a delayed allergic reaction to the flora of Rock Canyon from an adventure last night--more details to come--and I woke up beyond miserable after five hours of sleep. My muscles were sore from my adventure the previous night and I felt beyond ill. 

As I struggled for the energy to finish moving, I wondered "Is this what the people in the 5-hour-energy commercials feel like?"

Thankfully, I am not so stupid as to buy that rot. And I guess it means I'll sleep better tonight. 

I got a little bit short with my mother, which made me feel awful. But we both know how hard it is to be perfectly nice when you're tired.


Zooey Deschanel gets it.


I had further struggles when my Mom decided we were going to get up to drive back home at the crack of before dawn. 

So if I have ever been unpleasant during the morning towards anyone reading this, consider it an apology. I would call it an excuse, but my Mom doesn't sleep much better than I do, and I swear her internal clock is set for New York City. On any given day, it is almost certain she'll have been up for three hours before I'm awake.

But that's ok. Why? Because I am a night owl, which means that, at any given time, one of us is on the top of her game. And even though we don't do a lot of things the same way, even though it was hard for us to communicate sometimes, we want the same things and we love each other as mom-and-daughter should.


And maybe someday I'll be like Sutton Foster as Princess Fiona in THIS little number from Shrek:

{My Mom caught me singing this once, said "What?!?" and I called it wishful thinking}






No comments:

Post a Comment