Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fun with Cell Phones

You would not believe how hard it is to pick up a cell phone in rubber dishwashing gloves.
I was washing dishes in my bathrobe, because I was about to treat myself to a long, hot bath with a volume of The Illustrated Screwtape Letters when I realized that there were still dishes to be done. I didn't want my roomie Michelle to come home from her extra-late accounting class and find the apartment a mess, so I put on my pretty purple dishwaswhing gloves and began to work.
Right then and there, a stirring, startling rendition of "Thunderstruck" sounded from my bedroom. I ran to get it and tried to pick up my cell phone with my sopping wet gloves. For a pair that are great for srcubbing food off of plates, they have zero grip for picking up technology. I barely missed my mother's call--we had been playing a variation of phone tag all night--the kind where you talk to a loved one, sign off, then call back because you remember there is one more thing you must tell them; lather, rinse and repeat. But it is very nice to be remembered and loved by one's parents.
Cell phones have been great cause for embarassment that turns to amusement with time, at least in my life. During the national anthem at the Roy/Bonneville game my sophomore year,  I forgot that my phone was on and Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" came on full blast. I was mortified at the time, but now I just laugh at the whole thing, because nobody really was mad at me; nobody even remembers it.
Also yesterday, I was sitting in front of the Library, writing a paper for English when I heard the "New Spice" whistle ringtone.
"Jess!?" My head immediately popped up in search of my roomie, but the faces giving me weird looks did not include hers. So, I retreated back to my laptop and allowed myself to blush. Oopsie.
My mother tells me that, once upon a time when I was about two, I started yelling "It's time to go home!" right in the middle of sacrament meeting.
Sometimes, having a cell phone is like having a small child--they're absolutely wonderful to have, but often they make noise in embarrassing ways at embarrassing times.

No comments:

Post a Comment