Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'll be published...where exactly?

I was happy after I left my journalism class last week--well, mostly. We were learning about social media as news, and how the role of journalists is changing.  We talked about how many people get their news from people in their social networks--an acceptable theory we learned about in Mass Comms & Society--and that a very few of these people spread it to their friends after paying attention to the news. So it may be that we're just the first in a series of dominoes now? No, upon reflection I think that we journalists are the finger that pushes the first domino over, the initiators of discussion as the initial providers of information.

We also learned that, while the format is changing from Print to digital, they still need people to write the stuff, no matter where they publish it. Which is good--as long as I'm writing, I'll be happy.

Although, I will say this: the world's complete conversion to Kindle and other e-readers will be complete over my dead body.

No comments:

Post a Comment