Friday, August 5, 2011

The Basement Dancer & MJ

I like to dance in my basement. I've always enjoyed dancing around in my room as I *ahem* clean it. I don't know if anyone here has heard heard Beyonce's "Run the World (Girls)" but it is SO much fun to dance to, and is my current room dancing favorite. If you have, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, go right ahead and have a listen.

Seriously. I do all sorts of crazy moves to this song, but you won't see it happen because I only do this stuff when I know that nobody can see me. I'm much more creative this way because I fear no repercussions. Some of it is actually pretty ok.


{This is what I imagine I look like mid-move}

Yeah, I wish it looked like this. But, usually I am in PJ's or sweats with my hair all crazy and often I'm rocking out and lip-synching along.


{This is closer to what I actually look like}

So, none of you will ever see my true dance moves.

However, I actually found a form of basement dance I am willing to do in public. I worked as a Nanny for the kids across the street while their mom went on trek, and on one of my first days there, we played this game:


The girls, Aubrey and Shelby, love to dance, and their brother sometimes joins in too. The girls eventually asked me if I wanted to join in. They'd danced to a couple songs, and it looked kinda fun.

Have I mentioned that dancing is always the one part of a theater audition that I both LOATHE and DREAD? Granted, I had tough competition, as all the Royalaires (our dance/drill team in High School) tried out, but dance has never been my strongest suit.

So it was with some trepidation that I agreed to try it out. They selected Thriller at my request. I've liked it ever since my friends and I watched 13 going on 30 the night we planned our M.O. the night before registration day, in order to get our lockers together. We all loved the Thriller dance, but I fell.


{The scene from the Poise party in 13 going on 30}


{And here's Michael in a still from the actual video}


It's one of my greatest regrets that we never learned the Thriller dance to do at the registration day stomp. I will gladly participate in any group performance of this--just throwing it out there.

But I figured, it's my favorite MJ song, one of the most iconic music videos out there, I may as well take the plunge into dance games with a song I know and enjoy.

IT WAS AWESOME. 

You hold the Wii remote in your hand, and match it to the movements of Michael's famous white glove. You can earn up to five stars, depending on how well you do.

I kick butt at this dance for a girl who barely makes it past the dance auditions for callbacks.


{Can you say four stars my first time?}

I begged my Mom to get it for our Wii. After a week of fruitless searching for a reasonably priced copy, patient waiting prevailed (thank you, Target!!) and I got one. I count it as exercising. I can't run on a treadmill after using an elliptical machine, and I refuse to pay for a gym membership when BYU has its own gym for student use (I realize that our economy wants stimulation, but even I must say NO to that one)! Some days I'm too busy or tired to do it, but I love it when I do. You have to make very sharp, crisp movements for it to register with the remote, but that just means you get more out of it and have more fun.

I'm up to five stars on Thriller, four on Ghosts (apparently supernatural dances are my thing) and three on Bad, for which I worked REALLY hard.


{PS: Does anyone know how he did this move from Smooth Criminal? I can't figure it out!!}


Some people run, I dance with myself. However, I am perfectly willing to do the Michael Jackson game in a group--basement dance party anyone?

Wasn't going to ask this, but please leave a comment and tell me what you like to dance to when no one is watching! I'm always looking for new dance music!

No comments:

Post a Comment