Friday, August 12, 2011

What The Doctor taught Me

I meant to write a lot of things this summer, including half of today's subject. I meant to do many things that I haven't yet: I still have so many profound books I wanted to read, I still have three shirts to tuck and dart, and I need to finish my custom shorts.

However, much of my time has been pleasantly eaten up by a relatively new obsession: Dr. Who.


{Yes, I am aware perfectly aware of how sexy these men are, thanks!}

Basically, Dr. Who is a series about the adventures of a time-(and space-)traveling humanoid alien called a Time Lord. His name is the Doctor (just The Doctor), he is the last of the Time Lords; everyone else died in the Time War, which destroyed the Time Lord planet of Gallifrey, as well as their adversaries, the Daleks and their home planet, Scaro. (WOW I sound like a nerd right now!) He can regenerate to avoid dying, which is why there have been 11 different Doctors since the show's creation in the 60's--same man, same soul, new body. He travels with humans now, saving worlds and stopping wars with his sonic screwdriver and the TARDIS. 

{David Tenannt, the tenth Doctor, outside the TARDIS}

TARDIS: Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. It's the Doctor's ship, and it's bigger on the inside. The TARDIS runs on the Time Vortex, Is technically a living organism, and has a lot of fun powers that you actually have to watch the show to know all of.


{Inside the TARDIS}

I've been watching this show all summer in preparation for the return of season six (August 27th, ladies and gents, mark those calendars!)

In a way, however, it's also been a way to escape. My summer has been fun, don't get me wrong. It's been a time for me to be still and be creative. I thought it would be a nice little sabbatical from school, relaxing--just the thing to perk up my creativity.

But I forgot, I think--nothing perks up my creativity like a little adventure. So I watched Dr. Who and let my heart thrill at all the exotic, unreal places created in the show. I watched as the Doctor showed compassion, never killing unless it was, literally, the only option, even with the most evil of villains he encountered. The Doctor's worst nemesis died in his arms--and The Doctor cried. 

I had to believe that the world, the universe, could be as complex as they create it; I had to believe that there was a man out there who was mortal and, yet, that compassionate. My own world had begun to seem slightly dull and flat. 

I've seen the world, mind you--traveled more than many people my age in my situation, at any rate. I know how big it is...I forgot how rich it is.

Then today I was looking around facebook, and I found this on my friend Mary's wall. 

Have you read it all yet? Just the slideshow will do. Oh, no, go on, I've got time. you really need to see this.

Done? Ok then. Keep it open, you'll need it again pretty soon.

I read the stories, the little details in those children's lives, the little important, ordinary things that make them who they are. And then I realized: It's all real. Life here and now is just as rich as my new favorite TV show. Our planet is as rich as one hundred galaxies they could make up--maybe even richer. We have schisms and factions and poverty all over the world, but we have such promise! Those kids are so strong--so many of them face such challenges, they have such rich and beautiful strength!

Look at Kaya's creativity--look at the scope of the little world she's created for herself at such a young age!

Look at the care in the way Bilal holds that goat. Look at the innocence and love in his eyes, and he lives in a one-room shack in a harsh part of the world.

Look at the strength and resolve--that slow, low-burning fire--look at the patience in the eyes of Indira, the seven-year-old quarry worker.

Look at the fear in Alyssa's eyes, yes; then look at what she has done to make her room beautiful--look at the  flowers and the angel.

Look at the cunning in Ahkohxet's face--see how shrewd and wise she is, and yet she has probably never learned anything Google has to offer.

Look at the determination and sense of responsibility in Dong's face.

Look at the trust, the innocence, in the face of the orphan refugee from Liberia's war.

Look at the acceptance and will to survive in the face of Alex, the beggar from Rio.

Look into the piercing, professional eyes of Jaime.

Look at the warmth Delanie creates.

Look at the courage shown by Bikram, the orphan of parents killed in a civil war.

Look at Tzvika--He lives in a war-torn part of the world, yet his face shows a patient "what will be, will be" attitude.

Look at Douha--her brother is a suicide bomber, She and Tzvika are on opposite sides of a war fraught with malice, but there is no malice in her face.

Look at Ryuta's passion for life--his bio and his room show very varied interests.

Look at Li's commitment to excellence.

Look at Joey's passion for a hobby he enjoys with his father.

Look at Lamine's work ethic.

Look at Prena's love of learning.

Look at Rhiannon--she is so creative, and her whole community is the punk subculture! I think that's amazing!

Look at Nantio--her house is small, yet you can see she walks tall from her photo.

Look at Kana--she is following her dreams

Look at Risa--she has little space and privacy, but she makes what she has beautiful as she pursues her goals.

I never realized how rich and wonderful our world is...I always heard the Doctor talk (on the show, of course) about how wonderful ordinary people are, the difference they can make. Now I see it. It is the ordinary people, with all of their different dreams and passions, their experiences, their stories, their resilience, that is what really makes this world so vibrant, so beautiful.







No comments:

Post a Comment