Friday, August 19, 2011

Summer Reading

I never had any assigned reading for the summer, but I always liked to read a lot in the summers anyway. The school would always send home a challenge to read 1,000 pages over the summers, and you got a prize if you did. I remember once I read a bunch of books, including two runs through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire almost right after the other, and still worried I wouldn't have 1,000 pages. As Eames said in Inception, "Math was never my strong suit."

I have two library cards, if you don't count my student ID at the BYU library, and I will have three by this time next year. I remember summers full of mornings when I begged my Dad to take me to the Ogden library. I checked out stacks of books, and while Mary Higgins Clark and Agatha Christie eventually replaced Nancy Drew, mystery remained a favorite.

In my room there is a large bookshelf. Five shelves, each slightly more than a foot across. My Mom picked it out for me in Shopko because it was the biggest one there. And even this monster cannot hold all my books. I have several that I haven't even read yet.

There was so much that I meant to read this summer. So many high-minded works of history, philosophy, political science, regular science, the classics.

And then my dear, sweet friend Rosie lent me her collection of Meg Cabot Chick-lit. Can you say new favorite guilty pleasure? The Heather Wells series caters oh-too-well to my mystery addiction!

I was going to write this about all the wonderful things I meant to read this summer, but no. This is about all the unexpected, wonderful things I DID read.


  • Victor Hugo's unabridged Les Miserables: I've been working on this for awhile, it's SO good! I started it last fall, but school and my other reading got in the way. So I really wanted to just take a day or two and finish it...still working. But it is SO worth it. {Side note: Anyone else conflicted over Nick Jonas as the new Marius? Because I am. So much}

  • Shakespeare's Hamlet: Or at least I will have by Sunday morning. When I found out that you could watch David Tennant play Hamlet on PBS online, I was hooked. So, I am going to watch it from the beginning and follow along. {Sorry Scottish Play; You'll get your chance when I find a good version online/see it live. Can't get through it yet otherwise} Want to join me as I follow along/make goo-goo eyes at David Tennant as the Dane?

{Gosh I am obsessed. But David Tennant is freaking amazing}

  • The Head Trip and Insomnia (50 Essential things to do): Two very different books, but they both deal with the subconscious and sleep patterns, so I am grouping them together. Head Trip is more entertaining and up-to-date, and I am also still working on it. It's freaking huge, but it was both interesting and on the dollar table {Score for the book addict!}

  • The last half of  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Wish I'd had the time to re-read the entire series. Maybe next summer I'll have a nostalgia high? 
  • Meg Cabot's Heather Wells and Shadowland series: It's the literary equivalent of eating chocolate-covered-strawberry ice cream as you watch 13 Going on 30. I needed a simple, gloriously feminine pleasure like that.
  • What Da Vinci Didn't Know: My mother bought me this when The Da Vinci Code first came out and she thought I'd get confused and apostatize from the Church. Her fears were needless, but I read it two days ago anyway. It brings up some good points, but the author's tone is arrogant and defensive. Calm down man. Dan Brown is not at the head of a conspiracy to make Christians not believe in the Divinity of Christ. He is, like many authors, at the head of a conspiracy to entertain people for money. Still, this book does bring up some interesting points and facts, as well as give a very interesting history of all the crap/restoration done to The Last Supper.
  • Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage: People in my New Testament class last semester were quoting this right and left, and I felt like I wasn't part of the cool, spiritually-smart people club. So I begged my mother for a copy and am working my way through it. Amazing book; it is a spiritually academic, thoughtful look at the Savior. Beautiful, beautiful book. {PS: If anyone knows of a BYU or institute class that focuses on this book, please let me know!}
So, now that we've got through that list...I want to know what YOU all read this summer! Comment it up down there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment